Friday, February 16, 2007

Patrick Wolf @ The Junction 2


February 2007 has possibly been the best month I have ever experienced gig wise. I've played my first proper gig as well as going to see the likes of The Decemberists. With Regina Spektor to come this evening and The Shins later in the month you'd be forgiven for forgetting about Patrick Wolf and his relatively lowly levels of stardom. On the basis of this performance, ignoring him would be a great sin against the world.

He played in a small theatre type venue in Cambridge known as the Junction 2. At only 300 capacity the gig couldn't be described as anything but highly intimate. The gig began with the weirdest/scariest support act I have ever seen in my life; "No Bra" (literally). No Bra is a 6ft naked she-male (complete with moustache), mumbling her depraved insanities over simplistic techno. Personally I found it both hilarious and scary in equal measures. Yes, if she'd taken one step forward I would have taken two back, but at the same time when she moved onto another purely shocking topic it still raised humoured eye brows.

After an inordinately long wait Patrick Wolf entered the stage to face a crowd that had started to grow increasingly impatient. His stage presence and charisma was magnificent; I'd been expecting a slightly over-theatrical kid, but instead he paraded the stage with elegance. Playing through a good selection of songs from his two released albums, and new effort The Magic Position, everything sounded perfect other than, strangely, the ukulele, which sounded horribly tinny and scratchy - like the strings were far too tight or something.

Highlights for me were my new favourite The Stars and emphatic closer The Magic Position.