Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Margot and The Nuclear So and So's



Nearly a month after I wrote 90% of this post I'm going to bring it to you. Damn I hate the exam seasons. Anyway late but still intact... enjoy.

Margot and the Nuclear So and So's are a musical collective with a really silly name from Indianapolis. Their first album, Dust Of Retreat, was released in the first couple of months of last year, but as normally I have stayed firmly behind the times and so I bring it to you now.

Their music is mostly pretty folky and possibly a bit too nice for a lot of tastes, very easy to like and get into. The album is pretty consistently catchy, with, for me a couple of stand out tracks.

The obvious choice is Skeleton Key, but it has been writen about all over the place (A quick search of the hype machine will show you a load of results). Instead I am going to write about the much more unassuming Jen Is Bringin' The Drugs.

Jen Is Bringin' The Drugs brings you Margot and the Nuclear So and So's in their most stripped down form. A good track in the acoustic guitar + vocals tradition it has everything it should. A catchy, sing-along melody and interesting lyrics pen this track as one of my favourites of the moment. Some of the lyrics are brilliantly witty in my opinion, yet constantly stark and a tad depressive:

And Jen don't wanna be seen,
But I saw her in a swank magazine.
She had an airbrushed face,
But the lines of distaste
were crossed without crossing of legs.


Buy:
The Dust Of Retreat (via Amazon)

Listen:
Jen Is Bringin' The Drugs (via Sendspace)
Skeleton Key (via Sendspace)

Links:
Myspace
margotandthenuclearsoandsos.com