Sunday, January 07, 2007

Tycho, Welcome 2007, etc.



Well, it has been a while since I last posted. There's not been any particularly good reason for my absence, so I'll save you the excuses. It's a new year, and looks to be a great one for music. Releases are expected from big names such as The Arcade Fire, Radiohead, The Shins, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Sufjan Stevens... and undoubtedly there will be the emergence of many new talents. I hope I'm not being over optimistic in my wishes that 2007 is as good a year as any other!


Today, I thought I'd bring some electronica to the mix in the form of Tycho. Tycho is the brainchild of a San-Franciscan guy named Scott Hansen. Despite being better known for his work as a graphic artist, I'm quite partial to Hansen/Tycho's music. Reminiscent in many places to the works of Boards of Canada, with vast, placid soundscapes, Tycho's music is in a class of music that I classify as bipolar. Rather than mentally unstable, this sort of music is the type that you either have to give your full attention to, or let entirely slip in to the background. Try and find a middle ground, and you lose all the enjoyment. Either meander along the well thought out ebb and flow through his LP 'Past Is Prologue', or appreciate the intricate details, the carefully chosen samples, being used to separate this music from the rest.

Tycho's strength lies in his ability to take a vast electronic soundscape and infuse it with a certain soul, giving a hint to the hip hop influences of the music. Listening to the album, you're taken on a journey. One moment, the neon sounds of 'PBS' conjure visions of fluorescent urban scenes, and the next 'Send and Receive' is taking you along a winding coastal road through Mediterranean towns. This record is not particularly groundbreaking, but it doesn't try to be. It knows what it's aiming for, and it hits the target. Overall, it is a very enjoyable listen.