Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Anechoic


Anechoic are an indie band from Leeds. They released their debut (mini) album earlier this year, moving their sound forward from their previous singles and EPs. I, along with many others, first heard Anechoic via them supporting Embrace. Looking back I'm not even sure why I was going to see Embrace, but it seems they have developed quite a close relationship with the band that has helped bring them to a much wider audience than would otherwise have been possible. Strangely despite this, they still seem to be without a proper record deal? I'm sure there must be a more complicated story behind this, as to me, they're sound could make it big, really, really big.

After picking up their Just Like You single at the Embrace gig, I was surprised by the contents of the CD. Gone was almost all of the big guitar, and any rocky elements of their set. Instead I had infront of me three melencholy, laid back songs, laced with piano and subtle electronics.

Their more recent mini-album, This is how it is, rounds off their sound a little more as I remember it, introducing back more of the indie swagger and anthemic moments that Just Like You had been lacking. At the same time, that melencholy , and relaxed nature had not been forgotton. Both releases are pure genious in my belief, and with the sheer value of 9 tracks for a fiver found with This is how it is you should definately consider a purchase.

Buy:
This is how it is
Just Like You

Watch:
Keeping Count (acoustic) (YouTube vid)
Flickering (acoustic) (YouTube vid)
Time And A Half (YouTube vid)

Links:
anechoic.co.uk
Myspace