Sunday, December 03, 2006

Guillemots


Due to my listening habits of the past week, it was inevitable that any attempt at writing for this blog would be concerning Guillemots.

The band was formed in London by lead singer Fyfe Dangerfield, who writes the majority of their songs. They have been very well-received by the media, with a Mercury Prize nomination and 5th place in the BBC's sound of 2006 awards, and have had two successful singles in the UK.
However, I feel that there is a common misconception concerning this band and the style of music they write. Their two singles, Made-Up Lovesong #43 and Trains To Brazil are lively and catchy pop songs, and I can understand that it might be difficult to see past this to the collection of talent that has produced minute after minute of creative and original music. To label this band with a genre, I think, would be impossible. Whilst listening.. pop, jazz, swing, blues, hip-hop, indie, rock.. all of these words have come to mind at one point or another.

For those seeing them live after only hearing a few songs, I warn you, be prepared to be shocked. The energy this band creates is not to be overlooked.

My point isn't very clear. Mostly, what I'm trying to say, in a way that doesn't make me seem extremely biased, is that I'm in love with this band, and I'm pretty certain you could be too.

Their debut album, Through The Windowpane, demonstrates a well-balanced mixture of energised pop alongside beautiful keyboard/piano ballads often performed solo by Fyfe. However, to really immerse yourself in the spirit of the band, it's a necessity that you hear one or more of their EPs.

I realise I haven't really gone into details on any of their releases, but I hope I've written enough to tempt you into discovering this band yourself.

Buy:
Through The Windowpane (album) (via Amazon)
From The Cliffs EP (via Amazon)
Of The Night EP (via 7digital)

Listen:
Who Left The Lights Off, Baby? (via Boy From School)
Take Me Out (Franz Ferdinand Cover) (via Drifting Nowhere)
Trains to Brazil (via Filelodge)

Links:
guillemots.com
Myspace